Vivien Chaplin Esq
Director, Corporate and Commercial Practice, Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr. South Africa
Vivien Chaplin is a Director in our Corporate & Commercial practice.
Before joining Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr, Vivien led the Corporate Commercial Team at Hogan Lovells Johannesburg, and prior to that she was a Corporate Partner at ENSafrica.
- BA/LLB, University of Cape Town
- Enrolled with the Legal Practice Council
- Vivien is a corporate commercial lawyer with over 20 years’ experience in advising on local and cross border mergers and acquisitions, company law and corporate governance issues and drafting specialised commercial contracts.
- Vivien’s experience includes advising companies across various industries on mergers and acquisitions (including the structuring, due diligence and drafting of all transaction documents), Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) transactions and advice, Employee Share Ownership Plans (ESOP) and corporate restructures.
- Vivien assists her clients on all aspects of setting up and doing business in South Africa, including BEE, corporate governance and Companies Act compliance as well as specific regulatory advice in the mining, aviation, IT, film, industrial and logistics sectors. Vivien also assisted major mining companies with the drafting of high value long-term supply and offtake agreements and many large companies with the drafting of their standard form and bespoke agreements for all steps of the supply chain, as well as corporate documents such as shareholders’ agreements, memoranda of incorporation, committee charters and resolutions.
- In addition, Vivien provides training on BEE, corporate governance, procurement and supply chain contract drafting to private and public companies. She regularly speaks on these topics at conferences and has published numerous articles on corporate law and BEE developments. Vivien has also assisted several non-profit organisations in the education and health sectors.